Qualifications of a company secretaryHello dear friends here you will get Qualifications of a company secretary or Requirements of a company secretary. A company secretary must have qualifications prescribed in the companies Act and also should achieve required attributes to perform the functions of a secretary.
Qualifications of a company secretary can be divided into two categories:
(A) General qualifications
(B) Professional qualifications
(A) General qualifications: To perform the important functions of a secretary one should have the following general qualifications:
1. Attentive: A company secretary must be attentive and good listener.
2. Adaptability: Another important attribute of a company secretary is adaptation power. To ensure the interest of the company the company secretary need to adopt with different situation.
3. Boldness: To perform his/her duty and to uphold the interest of the company, a company secretary needs to have boldness. Boldness is specially required in negotiating with third parties.
4. Careful: In performing the duties a company secretary needs to be careful.
5. Cooperative: A company secretary is treated as the principal liaison officer, thus to ensure desired coordination among the concerned parties he/she must be cooperative.
6. Polite: for better acceptance and successful public relation a company secretary should be polite in nature.
7. Punctuality: A company secretary also should be punctual.
8. Responsible: As a company secretary one has to perform various important functions. The interest of the company can be hampered if any irresponsible step taken by the company secretary. Thus responsibility is an indispensable step taken by the company secretary. Thus responsibility is an indispensable attribute of a company secretary.
9. Reliable: another major quality of a company secretary is reliability.
10. Honesty: Last of all, but not the least, a company secretary must be honest. Other qualifications can be meaningless without honesty.
(B) Professional Qualifications: Besides the discussed general qualifications a company secretary must possess some professional qualifications to run the office of secretary. Professional qualifications can be listed as follows:
1. Required educational qualification: A company secretary must have educational qualification as required by the company. Besides qualification in business education a company secretary also need to have qualification on secretarial science.
2. Efficiency in shorthand: To take dictation and to maintain the minute book a company secretary must be efficient in shorthand.
3. Efficiency in typing: A company secretary need to type different official documents on a regular basis, thus he/she also should be efficient in typing.
4. Efficiency in computer operation: In modern days a company secretary has to handle computer to receive and to send messages thus efficiency in computer operations has become an indispensable quality of a company secretary.
5. Proficiency in language: To communicate with the external parties and to maintain routine communication a company secretary must have proficiency in written and spoken form of language. Besides the own language a company secretary need to have proficiency in English language.
6. Knowledge regarding the company affairs: As a company secretary one should have detail knowledge on the company affairs.
7. Knowledge regarding company law: Knowledge regarding company law is treated as a ‘sine-qua-non’ for a company secretary. To conduct the routine functions and to maintain the proceedings of a meeting a company secretary must have in-depth knowledge of company law.
8. Knowledge of other laws: A company secretary also should have sound knowledge regarding contact law, Insurance Act. And other laws relating to the affairs of the company.
9. Efficiency in arranging meeting: As the secretary of a company one has to arrange different types of meeting on a regular basis throughout his/her tenure of service. Thus detail knowledge regarding the holding of meetings must be possessed by the company secretary.
10. Efficiency in office management: A company secretary also should have knowledge of office management.
11. Efficiency in Accounting and finance: To handle the company affairs a company secretary must have efficiency in Accounting and finance.
To be a successful company secretary one should have a clear concept regarding the very ‘nature of business’ of the company.